Wednesday, 7 July 2010

... Mexico: Donde es Starbucks?

Believe it or not yesterday I spent all day sat in Starbucks because it absolutely rained cats & dogs.  Great... I fly all this way to do what I do back home. I had to find the hilarity in that, albeit somewhat delirious....

At least today I've had a change of fortunes.  Well.... kind of. The rains stopped and after a yummy breakfast at the guest house, I went exploring the 'hood. My planned first day of diving was alas postponed because it was still kind of choppy out in the water and no boats were leaving the harbour.  I guess that kind of poses a bit of a problem if you want to go out diving.


Most activity in Playa del Carmen is on Quinta Avenida (Fifth Avenue) stretching from Calle 1 norte until Calle 40. Conveniently it is a pedestrian walkway located just one or two blocks inland from the beach and is lined with hundreds of shops, bars and restaurants. I also happened to locate all 3 Starbucks.


Despite the latter,  the local community and government have attempted to retain Playa del Carmen's charm as a small fishing village and artists' colony, without it becoming as large and busy as Cancún. Part of that bid has meant the city passed an ordinance limiting buildings to four stories. It does all make for quite a nice feel about the place even though it is now the third-largest city in Quintana Roo.


However, never fear. It also remembers that it's a tourist destination and still has a nice layer of cheese.

Nowt like a nice bit of Bimbo with your Cerveza!

Muy borracho! Think being drunk in public got to be a bit too much for this fella

Lucha Libre

No comments:

Post a Comment