Tuesday, 16 June 2009

... Peru: Itchy Feet Needed Scratching

Three days before I jet off... yet again.  

This time my travels are going to take me to... PERU. Just a 'quick' trip 'down sarf' and my 2nd to South America.  I had always had it in my mind that within the next year or so I would do the 'trip of all trips'... or at least one of the many I intend to do before I am reincarnated as something that won't allow me to do this any more... and that would be to visit Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia & Chile. I had actually been planning/hoping for a trip to Belize (hey I bought the Lonely Planet books so now I HAVE to go!) for some diving but that is now being planned for next year, so for the duration that I have off work I decided that I'd pick one of those countries to go visit. Peru won.

For those of you who know me well I am not really the beach bum type.  I am a traveller who knows her needs so in no particular order:
I need a country where I need a book to attempt to speak the language
I need my backpack to be carried by a Llama
I need to be able to say 'thanks but no thanks' to the offer of roasted Cuy
I need to be able to taste & appreciate a real Pisco Sour
I need to be able to eat ceviche 3 times a day if I do so desire (I do love seafood but have to admit 3 times a day will probably be a bit much and will turn me into an aquarium)
I need the chance to buy a poncho knowing I will probably never wear it
I need to buy an alpaca blanket because Gracie has claimed (& molted on) all my others
I need to be go go go go go go go GO!

And so from the 19th June - 29th June I will hopefully be able to take you along with me as I visit Peru via Lima, the Nazca Lines and Cuzco then hike for 3 days through the Andes on the Lares Trek at altitudes of over 14,000 ft before finishing in the 'Lost City of the Incas', Machu Picchu.

One of my friends asked me today if I was excited yet. As always I'm as cool as a cucumber. I haven't even thought about packing - that of course will be the night before.. probably a few hours before I leave for YVR. I still have stuff to do all whilst working 2 jobs and a plethora of other activity. Would I have it any other way? Not on your life!

But as I sit here typing I can feel it brimming underneath the surface. Peru is 'a nation on the brink' and I'm off to see the evolution for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment